Rapid Lawn Landscape Solutions Ltd. is your one-stop Regina landscaping company. We have experience working on several large and small-scale commercial projects. Our equipment and our team are ready to tackle a variety of commercial landscaping jobs from snow removal to hydroseeding and anything in between. We also have access to an extensive network of professionals across Saskatchewan and Canada so give us a call to get your project started.In our latest article, we share some information on hydroseeding.
Hydroseeding, or Hydraseeding, is a technique that utilizes a slurry of seeds, mulch, and fertilizers, and it is an ideal way to revegetate large areas, and in fact many areas affected by forest fire or erosion can be seeded very rapidly using this technique. Here are some of the top questions we get asked.
- Is it Possible to Hydroseed Over Existing Lawn?
One of the biggest benefits of hydroseeding, of course, is that it can be used just about anywhere. Home/ acreage owners may use it to reseed their large lawns/ outdoor recreation spaces, and commercial operators take advantage of the cost-effective nature of the process to quickly make any areas on their property look more lush. In residential and smaller commercial applications the the hydroseed mixture is generally applied to a prepared area. However if you have a larger area that contains some grass or other vegetation we just need to be a little more careful during the seeding process if the area already has lawn or partial lawn. The hydroseed mulch mixture is generally quite thick. This helps to protect the seeds during their germination phase. If there is an existing lawn in place and you still want to hydroseed over it, it is actually best to use a thinner mulch mixture when spraying. What you don’t want to do is completely cover the existing lawn areas and kill off the grasses. A thinner mulch mixture will mean that the seeds can still take root in the existing soil, but that the grasses already present will not be smothered. 2. What Is in the Hydroseeding Mixture and How Does it Work? During the hydroseeding process, a special mixture is sprayed over an area and allowed to settle. The slurry that comprises the hydroseeding mixture is contained in a container and attached to a specially modified hose. As the water moves through the hose pipe, it picks up the hydroseed mixture and releases it through the nozzle of the hose. See the video for an example of one of ur machines at work.
Typically, the hydroseed mixture contains the following elements:
- Seeds, usually grasses, that are ready to germinate
- Cellulose fibers that form part of the protective mulch
- Fertilizer that promotes seed germination and growth
- Soil treating agents
As the mixture is sprayed, the seeds are deposited on the soil surface and the mulch covers the seeds to form a protective layer. The included fertilizer promotes the germination of the seeds and provides the food required in the early stages of plant growth. 3.What Are The Benefits of Hydroseeding In days gone by, revegetating a large area took a long time and was very labor intensive. This is not a cost-effective way to treat an area. Hydroseeding offers the following benefits:
- Speed:Whether one is treating a small or a large area, as you can see in the video , the hydroseeding process is very rapid. This means that it saves both time and money.
- Revegetation:One of the biggest challenges that many communities face is the erosion of topsoils in what were once heavily farmed areas of land. Without grass or vegetation, the topsoil is prone to erosion. Hydroseeding is a great way to seed hardy and durable grass species over a large area very quickly and prevent further erosion of the soil. It is also a fantastic method of quickly revegetating damaged areas of land, such as those areas that have been ravaged by forest fires.
Environmental Benefits Hydroseeding can ‘recover’ large areas of land as they can be seeded very quickly and cost effectively. The fertile mixture of mulch and seeds provides a bed upon which other plant life can grow and may even provide the basis upon which fauna returns to the area in order to feed and reproduce. The Ideal Way to Seed New Plant Life Hydroseeding is a fantastic method of repairing damaged soils and revegetating large areas. It is rapid, cost effective, and successful. Contact us today to see if it is right for you!
- About hydroseeding and read other common FAQ’s here.
- Read other hydroseeding article in our blog here:
Our professional Trusted Regina hydroseeding and landscaping team offers innovative re-vegetation, grass seeding, dust control, reclamation, landscaping and erosion control solutions and hydroseeding for all types of residential, commercial, government, industrial and oilfield projects.